Cave Spring PigOut Barbecue Cook-Off
Rules and Regulations
ALL TEAM TRASH MUST BE IN BAGS & TIED
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN BAGS
1. The decision and interpretations of the Cave Spring Pig Out Barbecue Cook-Off (hereinafter known as CSPO), Rules and regulations are at the discretion of the CSPO Representatives at the contest. Their decisions and interpretations are final.
2. Registration and set-up shall be by 6:00PM on Friday at Rolater Park.
3. Each team shall consist of a team leader (chief cook) and as many assistants as the team leader deems necessary.
4. Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Team sites are 30’ x 30’. Pits, cookers, grills, props, tables, tents or any other equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or cooking device.
5. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
6. Contestants must adhere to all fire, electrical, health department, and other codes. Contestants shall sign a form accepting responsibility for adhering to these codes.
7. Each team shall have a fire extinguisher at their cooking site.
8. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. Gas and electric grills shall not be permitted. Propane is permitted as fire starter, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes in the ground are permitted. Fires shall not be built on the ground.
9. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed.
10. Temperature: After cooking, meat should be held to a minimum temperature of 145 degrees F.
11. Competition Meat:
a. 1. Pork Barbeque: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder weighing a minimum of 5 pounds. Present this category chopped/pulled/sliced/diced as the cook sees fit. Teams must submit enough meat for 6 judges to taste. Garnish is optional.
b. 2. Pork Ribs: Pork Ribs are defined as Loin back (baby back) or spare ribs only. Country style ribs are not permitted. Submit 8 bone-in and cut ribs. Garnish optional.
c. 3. Brisket: Brisket is defined as whole Beef Brisket, flat or point, weighing between 6 – 10 pounds. No Corned Beef is allowed. Submit 8 slices-1/2 in. thick. Garnish optional.
12. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed prior to the initial cooking. All meat must be maintained at a maximum temperature of 40 degrees F prior to inspection and cooking.
13. Sauce is optional. If used, apply directly to the meat and not pooled or puddled in the turn-in box. No side sauce containers are permitted in the turn-in container.
14. Upon check-in Friday, teams will be directed to their assigned site. At the appointed time on Saturday (see Time-Line Sheet), each team will prepare a container or containers of meat for turn-in to the judges. No side sauce containers are allowed. Aluminum foil, toothpicks, skewers, foreign material, and/or stuffing are prohibited. The only identifying mark on the containers will be a random number assigned by a Pig-Out official. Only the CSPO organizers will know the team identity.
15. Competition meat must be ready for judging according to the Time-Line Sheet.
16. Chopped competition meat with sauce on it for Popular Vote Tasting, must be delivered to the tasting area in a large covered roaster pan or pans by 10:30AM. Two Boston Butts will be provided to each team for this purpose.
17. Teams may sell competition pork bbq, ribs, brisket and/or sides to the public beginning at 11:00AM.
18. At the conclusion of the cook-off, each team is responsible for cleaning their area and removing all equipment from the premises. Grease and ashes shall either be collected in separate containers or taken to a central disposal location in the park. No grease or ashes shall be left on the ground, or at the cooking site. Please remove from the park.
19. Cave Spring Downtown Development Authority will not be responsible for any equipment left after the Cave Spring Pig-Out Barbecue Cook-Off.